Self portraits

Self portraits

Monday, December 19, 2011

Kabo Kabo Kabo

I am the "Kabo" woman. . . .the person who will (hopefully) bring new shoes for a bunch of people before the end of the year. I contacted one of our major health care providers to ask about them providing shoes to my clients with diabetes, to encourage them to walk more and improve health outcomes. They said yes, and they'll soon be delivering a lot of shoes ("kabo" in Somali) -- and that's money well spent. The $40 pairs of shoes, if used as prescribed, can actually turn around a person's diabetes in the early stages. They can help someone drop 40 pounds. They can reduce a high blood sugar by 40 mg/dL.., high blood pressure. . .well, you get the idea. Perhaps they can save 400 or 4,000 or 40,000 dollars in future medical expenses, along with helping their clients live healthier.


Portrait of Somali Elder
Since we started measuring feet for these shoes, every time I see my clients, they ask me, "Kabo??" and give me a searching look, a big shrug, universal language for "where the heck are they already?" My answer, "Soon, Inshallah".

No comments: